Welcome to Fr. Korstenbroek, Council 2134's website. Our Council meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday's of each month. The 1st Tuesday is typically the business meeting, and the 3rd Tuesday is our social meeting. Our meetings are held at the Knights of Columbus Hall, located across from Our Lady of Lourdes School on East Reed Road. Meetings begin at 7:00. Please come back to visit this site often, as it will be changing monthly.
Wayne Ebelhar Grand Knight-Council 2134
Grand Knight's Report
Thanks to everyone who made our fraternal year a huge success. The council was recognized for its numerous good works, but let us always remember that we do these works not for the recognition, but for our love for our fellow man. As we start the new fraternal year let us continue to build upon what we have done,
Grand Knight - Council 2134
Council 2134 History
As early as 1916 and 1917, a small group of Catholic men occasionally and informally discussed the possibility of organizing a Knights of Columbus council for Greenville. Father P.J. Korstenbroek, our pastor, was highly pleased and ardently encouraged the group to proceed with the undertaking. Preliminary work was suddenly halted with the outbreak of WWI, when so meny of our young men were called into duty. In 1917, a precouncil was formed with W.L. Evans as president, J.J. Rigney as membership chairman, and father Kenny as Chaplain.
May 18th, 1920 was the day set for the initiation ceremonies and for the institution of Fr. Korstenbroek Council, Knights of Columbus No.2134. Present were Bishop Gunn, probably two hundred or more Knights from the ever helpful Vicksburg Council, along with their degree team, and a few men from other councils across the state. All arrived aboard a special train from Vicksburg. The Vicksburg team immediately took charge and carried on the work of the day. A half-mile parade followed Mass at 10:00. Then, the candidates were fed and initiated. There were about 107 men, and it was a great day for St. Joseph's parish and for Greenville.
Next task was finding our council a home. A search for quarters ended with the renting of the second and third floors of the old Grand Theater Building. There we had a large meeting hall, library, reading and game rooms. Our biggest job over the next two years was to equip the rooms, and to get used to ourselves in operating a council.
By 1930 these quarters had become untenable. They had suffered hard usage during the 10 years since 1920, and the owners were reluctant to make repairs or improvements. So, we began to look for a new home. We finally came to an agreement with Fr. Igoe, by which we were allowed to use a cottage on church property. After removing some partitions and doing some decorating, we again had a medium sized place to meet, but it was not quite as comfortable.
The disasterous flood of 1927, which was followed so closely by the nation's worst ever depression, brought on hard times. Membership dropped severely. Things became disorganized, and finally, non-functioning. It was a dismal situation. New life was brought into the council when former grand knight, D.L. Nick, on his own initiative, securing a coordinator from the supreme council, gathered in all the loose ends and brought the council into working condition again.
In 1949 the parish had need of the cottage, so our next move was to the Italian Club in south Greenville, where we stayed until it was evident proper progress could not be made because our privileges in the use of the club were limited. Sharing the club was not always convenient. It was during our stay there, and under the leadership of then grand knight Raymond Kimble, that in1953 a two-acre plot was purchased on East Reed Road as a site for a future clubhouse. In 1961, plans for a new club of brick and concrete block were worked out. The contract was let out to Greenville Lumber Co. during the administration of C.A. Duprel. The building was completed that same year. Installed in the building since complettion were sixteen knockdown banquet tables, one hundred fifity steel chairs, color tv, pocket billiards, snack bar, permanent wall directory, heating and air conditioning, kitchen equipment, several games, and a sixty foot flagpole in front.
Social affairs in the council were rare for many years because accomodations were not adequate. The first effort was made in 1925 when a Halloween party was prepared for members and their families. This party was held on the third floor of our first home, and dancing to radio music was advertised as an innovation. Everything went well, but there was no dance. The radio failed to produce the music as expected. At other times, dances were held at the Italian Club when arrangements could be made. Social affairs became more numerous after we moved into our new home in 1962. A Ladies Axiallry was formed, and subsequently, social activities flourished, with the men handling the kitchen and the music. Their were banquets, dances, and fifth Wednesday night parties, along with several Mardi Gras mask balls. In between, there have been numerous Easter egg hunts and Christmas parties for pre-school children. To encourage attendance, steak dinners were offered for price on meeting nights.
The council as a council and members as members, being aware of an opportunity, very frequently have responded to calls for civic service. There was the great campaign against the Ku Klux Klan in the early twenties in which meny of our memberss took a very active part in cooperation with many Protestants to win a very decisive election to keep the county government in safe hands. During the great flood of 1927, our entire quarters were given over to the Red Cross for most of the year. It seems that one name, that of Judge Emmit Harty, should be mentioned in this account. It was he who organized much Catholic action in the operation against the KKK in 1922-23. During this same period, it was he who made it possible for one hundred or more of our members and friends to obtain citizenship papers without any expense and without the necessity of making the trip to Vicksburg to obtain them.Fr. Korstenbroek Council 2134